My Home Page
Welcome To Mr. Ross' Webpage!
Course Description: This course uses diverse historical concepts and events as the context for discussing, and then writing about, important issues in U.S. History. This course also stresses critical thinking, evaluation, and especially writing as the main requirements for passing. The course requires you to take notes on lectures and assigned readings. It also requires you to complete several writing assignments on class work as well as writing a research paper. For optimum success in this class students are required to read this selected textbook.
AP U.S. History: Beginning with the changes to the format of the 2015 exam, students are required to apply historical thinking skills and knowledge of content as they respond, in writing, to new short-answer, document-based, and essay questions. Newly designed multiple-choice questions ask students to use their knowledge of content to analyze and interpret primary and secondary sources.
Note: There will be TWO (2) Exams associated with AP U.S. History:
Exam 1: AP U.S. History Exam - Friday, May 10th, 2019 (@ 8:00 a.m.)
Exam 2: N.Y.S. Regents Exam - Tuesday, June 18th, 2019 (@ 8:30 a.m.)
1. Signed Syllabus: Due Date: (A.S.A.P.)
2. Due Date - Sept 17th: Guided Reading Chapters 1-2 & (Columbian Exchange Activity)
3. Due Date - Sept. 24th: Guided Reading Ch. 3 & (Cortes and Jamestown Activities)
4. Due Date - Oct. 2nd (Tues.): Guided Reading Ch. 4-5 & (Pilgrim vs. Puritan and Headright Activities)
Chapter 1-3 Test: Thursday, Sept. 27th, 2018
1. Due Date - Oct 9th (Tues.): Guided Reading Ch. 6 & (John Locke Activity)
PICTURE DAY! (Wednesday, October 17th)
2. Due Date - Oct. 17th: (Proclamation Line of 1763 Activity)
Chapter 4-6 Test: Friday, October 19th, 2018
3. Due Date- Oct. 23rd (Tues.): Guided Reading Ch. 7
Due Date (MONDAY.) 11/12/18 @ NOON!: 1st Quarter Project: AP Colonial DBQ
(YOU MUST TURN IN YOUR Task, Thesis and Evidence sheet 1st before
you submit your essay on Turnitin.com. DUE BY FRIDAY 11/9)
1. Due Date - Nov. 16th (Friday): Guided Reading Ch. 8-9
2. ALL 1st QUARTER MISSING WORK IN DUE ON 11/13 by 2:45 pm.
3. Due Date - Nov. 21st (Wednesday): Guided Reading Ch. 10-11 + (Federalists vs. Antifederalists Activity)
Chapter 7-11 + Constitution Test: Friday, November 30th
4. Due Date: Dec. 3rd (Monday) Guided Reading Ch. 12 + (The Burning of Buffalo Activity)
5. Due Date: Dec. 10th (Monday) Guided Reading 13-14 + S. Truth's "Ain't I A Woman!" (1851) Activity.
6. Due Date: Dec. 17th (Monday) Guided Reading 15 & 16 + Frederick Douglass' Speech Activity
Due Tuesday: 1/29/19 @ 5 pm! : 2nd Quater Project: Constitution Essay (LONG AP Essay)
Chapter 12-16 Test: Thursday, December 20th
(You must turn in your evidence/thesis sheet before you submit your essay on turnitin.com.)