Beginning in the 2016-2017 school year, under the visionary leadership of Dr. David Mauricio, the Buffalo Public Community Schools launched 13 schools. From this time, Community Schools have grown into 24 elementary and high schools districtwide, within each of the four zones. Buffalo continues to be the Community School model for the state of NY. The locations are identified within four quadrants or zones around Buffalo: East, West, Northeast, and South.
BPS Strong Community Schools Vision: Our Community Schools will attract families using a “whole child” model to increase student outcomes and improve the surrounding communities.
BPS Strong Community Schools Mission: Build bridges between families and communities, leading to improved student learning, increased parent engagement, and healthier students.
The goals of BPS Strong Community Schools are as follows:
• Implement strong educational programs which reduce learning gaps, increase social-emotional support, expand the academic curriculum, and strengthen parent and community engagement in schools.
• Coordinate with Community-Based Organizations to offer resources to schools, such as medical, dental, health, and wellness services.
• Build partnerships with local organizations to implement high-quality extended day and year programs of excellence for the entire community!
BPS Strong Community School programs are coordinated along five pillars of support:
1. Academics and Instructional Technology
2. After-school and Saturday Programs
3. Parent Centers and Adult Education
4. Student and Family Support Services
5. Community Partnerships
Strong Community Schools
Click on the links below and visit our Strong Community Schools!