My Resources - 2009-2010
International Preparatory School at Grover
Mr. Robert Wind
English 8/English I
Welcome to 8th Grade English Language Arts! This year we will focus on the themes of Coming of Age and Challenges. Throughout the year we will discuss these themes as they are found in various genres including short stories, poetry, drama, media, and the novel. We will be reading and discussing the works of Nikki Giovanni, Walter Dean Myers, Lois Lowrey, Walt Whitman, William Shakespeare and Langston Hughes amongst others.
The main texts we will read are The Giver by Lois Lowrey, The Book Theif by Markus Zusak, Monster by Walter Dean Myers and A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare. We will also be completing a variety of projects, including creating a movie, making a book, and documenting an interview. I greatly look forward to working with each of you, and I know that we will have a successful and productive year!
- 3-4 packs of Paper (loose leaf)
- 3-Ring Binder (2 inch)
- 5 Tab Dividers (Writing, Vocab Notebook, Homework, Literature, Portfolio)
- (2) 2-Pocket Folder (AIS, Homework)
- (2) 1 Subject Notebooks or marble notebooks. (Journals)
- Dictionary (to keep at home)
Strongly Recommended Materials:
- The Giver by Lois Lowrey
- Monster by Walter Dean Myers
1. An Open Mind – Literature allows us to see the world through a variety of perspectives, some of which will be very similar to our own, but many will present new ideas and outlooks on life.
2. Come Prepared – As writing composes a large part of ELA, and it is impossible to write without a pen or pencil and something to write on, you need to have these things with you each day.
3. No Plagiarism – Each of you has talent and valuable thoughts and ideas, so there is no need to use someone else’s thoughts or ideas and present them as your own. Any form of plagiarism will not be tolerated, and may cause you to fail this course.