Custody Guidelines & Responsibilities
BUFFALO PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT PROTOCOLLAPTOP & TABLET CUSTODY GUIDELINESGeneral Laptop/Tablet Custody Guidelines
Laptop/Tablet Classroom Cart GuidelinesPrincipals should designate an individual to be the custodian for each Laptop/Tablet Cart at the school. A Computer Tracking Form listing all laptop/tablets in the cart must be completed and signed for every Cart assignment within the school.The Laptop/Tablet Cart Custodian has the role of:
One Device Policy: District staff is expected to have custody of only one laptop or tablet per person, unless they obtain permission from the Chief Technology Officer. In new laptop deployments, the old machine(s) must be returned before a new machine will be released by the IT Department.
You are expected to safeguard your District laptop or tablet at all times. It should not be left in plain sight unattended. Also, it should not be given to any other staff member for use. Only IT department staff can collect, assign or transfer custody of District issued laptops or tablets.
IT Work Tickets should be completed to request: an initial new computer, repair, maintenance, to report a lost/stolen laptop or tablet or to request a replacement laptop or tablet.
Permanent & Probationary employees are expected to have continuous custody of their laptop or tablet for the life of the machine, both through the summer and/or if the teacher moves to a new school.
Temporary employees are expected to return their laptop/tablet at the end of the school year to the IT Central Inventory Location.
Staff going on Un-Paid Leave of Absence are also expected to return their laptop/tablet prior to the start of their leave.
At time of departure from employment from the District your laptop should not be left at your school or given to any school based staff. All laptops should be returned to the IT Central Inventory Location.
- Safeguarding the laptops/tablets
- Reporting damaged, lost, and stolen laptops/tablets
- Being the main point of contact for IT and Audit if needed
- School Laptop/Tablet Carts must remain locked when they are not in use
- Each laptop or tablet should be signed in and out each day and returned to the carts at the end of each day
- The classroom carts are for student use and should not be deployed to staff for individual use
- Under no circumstances should these units be used to replace lost or stolen machines
- Laptops/tablets belonging to one cart should not be swapped or moved to another cart