Tips on protecting your Laptop or Tablet from possible theft
• If you take your laptop or tablet from your workplace, bring it inside your home instead of leaving it in your vehicle. It will be much safer locked inside your home rather than in a car exposed to possible thieves. If you must leave your laptop in your car, never leave it in plain sight, even if the vehicle is locked. Place it in the trunk of your car or try to conceal the computer by storing it under a seat.
• If you leave your laptop in your office or at your desk, keep it out of plain sight and lock it up in a drawer or cabinet. Even if the door to your room or office is locked, if the laptop is out in the open, the possibility of theft is greater.
• Carry your devices in a non-descriptive carrying case, briefcase, or bag when moving about. Placing these items in a case designed for computers is an immediate alert to thieves that you have these valuable devices. Choose a bag that doesn't scream, "Laptop bag!"
• If you are using your laptop or personal electronics in your office or in a meeting, make sure to take them with you if you leave, even if only for a moment. Lock it in a safe place when not in use.
• Do not use automatic password logins. Be aware that if your computer is stolen, automatic log-ins with passwords can make it easy for a thief to send inappropriate messages with your account.