Note to Teacher:
The lessons plans can be found below under the respective Phase section.
- Materials for the lessons are located on various subpages.
*All links will be active once our program begins.
- Lesson 1.0 - Introducing Vocabulary - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
- Lesson 1.1 - Finding Text-Based Answers - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
- Lesson 1.2 - Paraphrasing - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
- Lesson 1.3 - Citing Resources - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
Phase 2 (4-7 class periods): This unit teaches the basic tenets of research, including how to take notes, convert those notes into an outline and compose an essay.
- Lesson 2.4 - Note Taking - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
- Lesson 2.5 - Outlining - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
- Lesson 2.6 - Writing a Rough Draft - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
- Lesson 2.7 - Research Essay - 5th Grade / 6th Grade
Phase 3: This unit reinforces and expands on citation procedures by showing students how to locate and cite copyright free images. It also teaches students how to: narrow the focus of their essay in order to delve more deeply into a single topic; map out a movie concept using main ideas; create an iMovie; and present their final product to a group of their peers while explaining their process and defending their product.