NYS Operation Recognition

  • New York State Operation Recognition

    Operation Recognition allows certain veterans to earn high school diplomas if they left school without graduating.

    Section 305 of the NYS Education Law created Operation Recognition to recognize the dedication and sacrifice of veterans of WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Wars who left school before graduation by awarding them a high school diploma.

    Who is Eligible?
    To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following requirements:

    1. The applicant must have been a member of the US Armed Forces, and
      Engaged in qualified service during one of the below periods:

      -World War II - December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
      -Korea - June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
      -Vietnam - May 1, 1961 - April 30, 1975
    2. Received a satisfactory discharge, and
      A resident of New York State

    What documentation is required to prove eligibility?

    1. DD214 (copy of a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) OR
    2. A Certificate of Service OR
    3. A letter from a recognized veterans agency affirming such service

    How do you apply for a diploma?

    1. Interested veterans (residents of New York State), who attended a Buffalo Public School, should complete the attached form (below); attach the required documentation (listed above) and submit to the Buffalo Public Schools, Dept. of Guidance Services;Room 506 City Hall, Buffalo, NY 14202. Please allow 5 - 6 weeks for processing.  There is no fee for this service.

    Please Note: 

    *Requests for awarding a high school diploma to World War II, Korean War and/or Vietnam War Veterans submitted to the Buffalo Public Schools' Guidance Services office will be processed and issued from a Buffalo Public School District high school, regardless of whether or not the veteran attended school within the District (but the veteran must reside in New York State).   If the veteran last attended a school that is still in service outside of the Buffalo Public School District, the information will be forwarded to that district/school.  

    If the veterans (BPS District) school has since closed, a local/general diploma will be issued from one of the District's current high schools.

    * Please allow 5-6 weeks for processing requests.

       2.  Candidates do not need to show evidence of attendance at a school in New York State, they only need to affirm in writing that they do not possess a high school diploma.

       3.  Candidates possessing a high school equivalency (or GED) diploma are also eligible.

    For Additional Information Contact:
    The NYS Education Department (518) 474-8940


Related Files