Unlike student loans, scholarships do not have to be repaid. Generally, Scholarships are reserved and/or available for students with special qualifications, such as academic, athletic or artistic talent, for students who are interested in particular fields of study, who are members of underrepresented groups, who live in certain areas of the country or who demonstrate financial need.
Scholarships typically fall into two categories:
- Merit-based aid: are scholarships that are awarded to a student by either a community or local organization or a college, without regard for financial need.
- Need-based aid: financial aid is awarded to a student based on financial need.
Look here for college scholarships of special interest to Buffalo Public Schools students. This list features:
- Eligibility requirements
- information about the sponsoring organization
- Downloadable applications
If you have further questions or concerns about application, please contact your student's school counselor or the organization offering the scholarship. All scholarships listed are currently accepting applications.
WNY School Counselor Association - Scholarship Search
The WNY High School Counselor Association search page has two sections: search tools to help you access the thousands of scholarships available nationally, followed by a table of dozens of local WNY scholarship opportunities sorted in order by annual due date.
FEEA Scholarships- $5,000.00 - 400 Awards
- Applicants must be a legal dependent of a federal civilian or postal worker employed by the federal government for more than 3 years.
- Plans to attend a post-secondary institution in the Fall following high school graduation.
Scholarships - List of College Scholarships and Applications (studentscholarships.org)
Lt. Aaron Salter Memorial Scholarship Inc.
Future Power of the Pack Scholarship
Buffalo State Bengal Scholarships
Alpha Kappa Alpha - Georgie Stokes Walker Scholarship
College Board Opportunity Scholarship
The Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship
The Girl Friend's Fund, Inc. Scholarship
Buffalo Urban League Scholarship
Professional Athletes Foundation Scholarship
Summit Federal Credit Union Scholarship
Junior League of Buffalo Scholarship
Bank on Buffalo Scholarship
Crystal Boling-Barton Leadership Scholarship