Check Section Quick Links for Application Information and Forms
Requirements for becoming a certified Teaching Assistant Certification Tools
Websites & Forms
Human Resources Department is not responsible for the processing or issuing of instructional certifications.
Complete instructions to obtain and maintain certifications can be found at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/ta.html or by contacting the New York State Education Department at 518-474-3901.
It is your responsibility to check your TEACH account and notify the Human Resources Department via email email@example.com or in writing to 720 City Hall when your Teaching Assistant certification is issued. New York State does not contact Human Resources when your certification is issued and Human Resources does not audit certifications to determine whether or not they are initially issued. Once notified, Human Resources will send you a packet of paperwork that needs to be completed and processed, and membership to the NYS Teacher�s Retirement System is mandatory.
Application and Payment Submit an application and pay the registration fee (Visa or MasterCard accepted) at TEACH online services: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/teach/
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED
- Proof of Education
- Level 1: High School diploma or GED -valid for 3 years and then you must advance to a Level 2 or Level 3 certification which requires college credits and one year of experience.
- Level 2: 9 college credits (Official College transcripts)-valid for 3 years and cannot be renewed.
- Level 3: 18 college credits (Official College transcripts)-does not expire, professional development hours required to maintain.
- SAVE Workshop Certification
- Child Abuse Prevention Workshop Certification
- Dignity for All Students Workshop Certification
Visit either of the websites below for Workshop Certifications OR contact Buffalo State College at 878-5907 or Erie County BOCES at 821-7009.
Send copies of the above materials to:
New York State Education DepartmentPhone: 518-474-3901 x5
Office of Higher Education
977 Education Building Annex
Albany, New York 12234
Teacher Assistant Certification Exam Registering for your TEACH account does not automatically enroll you for the NYS Teacher Assistant Certification exam. Please visit http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/ for more information and to register and pay for an upcoming exam.