Music Theory I Syllabus
MUSIC THEORY I COURSE SYLLABUS 2016/2017
Class meets M-F for 40 weeks
Mrs. Newton - Room 114 - email@example.com
* Develop the ability to identify how the elements of music function within a piece.
2. EAR TRAINING/AURAL SKILLS:
* Sight sing intervals,chords and melodies in major and minor keys using the Solfege system.
* Chant rhythms in various meters using a basic counting system.
* Notate melodies, rhythms and harmonic progressions upon hearing them repeated several times. Musical examples used will reflect a wide variety of cultures and historical time periods.
* Compose (organize, arrange) music in some medium.
* Notating music by hand as well as use a computer-based notation program.
* The rules of traditional harmonic part writing will be stressed.
4. USING BASIC MUSICAL TOOLS:
* acquire and use basic musical tools that are central to the understanding of music literacy and composition.
TOPICS OF STUDY:
1.) What is "music"/music theory?
2.) The Elements of Music.
3.) Rhythm, Meter
4.) Scales: Major, 3 Forms of Minor
5.) Key Signatures
7.) Triads (major, minor, augmented, diminished)
7.) Chords (seventh)
8.) Chord Inversions
10 Rules of 4-part Writing.
11.) Non-harmonic tones.
12.) 4-Part Chorale Composition
We will be covering the above in a variety of ways - class lectures, student participation, reading and demonstration, projects, etc....
* Any classwork not finished becomes homework;
* Projects will be worked on in class and at home.
* Homework is due on the date given – LATE WORK IS NOT ACCEPTED unless it is due to illness or another extenuating circumstance discussed with Mrs. Newton. I
* If you miss homework because of being absent it is your responsibility to get the assignment and turn it in on the next day.
*You will be given one "Free Pass" for each quarter which can be used to hand in one homework assignment late (no more than 3 days without penalty.*)
* Attendance is mandatory.
* Students arriving late MUST have a pass and will not be allowed into class without one.
*Skipping will not be tolerated and will result in parental and administrative notification and a lowering of your grade.
* There is no textbook required for the course, but you are required to register for NOTEFLIGHT Music Notation Software on your personal computer. If you don't have a personal computer, you can register online for a free Noteflight account on any computer.
* You MUST provide me with your login information because you will be completing some of your assignments using Noteflight. You will also be accessing some assignment I provide using this program.
* There will be some opportunities to earn extra credit through participation in “My Music Days".
* Use of any and all electronic devices including cell phones is prohibited unless permission is given by Mrs. Newton.
* Students will not be excused from class for restroom or any other reason unless it is an emergency. Please take care if restroom needs prior to class.
* Homework = 30%
* Quizzes/Tests/Projects/Class Participation = 70%
Coming to class prepared is important in being a fully participating member of class and in gaining and practicing musical skills. Material are REQUIRED at every class.
* Binder with pockets
* Notebook (loose leaf in binder or wire-bound)
* Pencils and erasers;
* Staff/Manuscript Paper - can be purchased from a music store or downloaded and printed at Blanksheetmusic.net (choose the style that has “no clef”)
* No work will be accepted in anything but pencil. **
* Coming to class without ALL of the above materials will result in a grade penalty.
* You are expected to have all handouts every day as well as take thorough notes.
* Students are expected to follow rules and procedures of proper classroom behavior including: being respectful to teacher and classmates, being attentive,using proper posture, not being disruptive, and being prepared. Failure to do so will result in a grading penalty.
* When the bell rings you are in your seat, ready to go.
* Needing to be reminded will result in contacting of parents and lowering of grade.
*You are expected to apply yourself at all times in class and to use all available resources (websites, class instruction and handouts, etc...) to master content.
* Mrs. Newton is here to provide extra help, but you must be proactive in seeking this out when needed.
*The material in this class is presented so that every student has the ability to do very well and gain knowledge that will improve their skills as a musician, but you must be willing to take an active part in this learning and musical experience.
* Students are expected to follow the guidelines of "Effective Effort" as outlined in the City Honors Student Handbook.