Music 5 Syllabus
City Honors School - 5th Grade Music Syllabus 2016-2017
Mrs. Newton – Rm. 114
Class meets 2 times a cycle for 40 weeks.
Music 5 is a General Music Class. There will be an emphasis put on the study of a curriculum of music study based on the New York State and National Association for Music Education Standards for the Arts.
1. Creating/Performing/Singing/Playing Music
2. Knowing/Applying/Using Musical Elements
3. Ear Training/Aural Skills
4. Analyzing/Listening to/Assessing Music as a Musician Does
5. Music's Role in History/Culture/Society
6. Music and Technology
7. Music and It's Connection to Other Disciplines of Study
1.) CHS Student Planner
2.) Binder with Pockets
3.) Notebook/paper to take in-class notes
4.). Both pen and pencil
- All students are expected to come to class FULLY prepared with all supplies and materials and will be assessed and graded on this via random "prep checks".
- Homework and Projects are due on the date assigned and will not be accepted late unless there is an extenuating circumstance that has been discussed with Mrs. Newton.
- Students who are absent for any reason need to contact Mrs. Newton to get missed assignments as soon as they return to school.
- Music Notebooks will be assessed and graded every quarter, and it is the student's responsibility to keep them current with all required materials.
* Assignments and Projects given will be posted on Mrs. Newton's Teacher Webpage which can be found at: /webpages/enewton/
CLASSROOM BEHAVIOR AND EXPECTATIONS
- Students are expected to respect classroom and school policies for conduct, behavior and use of classroom space and materials.
- Students are to be respectful of the teacher and fellow classmates at all times.
GRADING - QUARTERLY GRADES
1. Performance, Written assignments, Tests, Quizzes, Projects = 40%.
2. Class Participation, Preparation and Notebook = 60%
* Late assignments are not accepted unless there is an extenuating circumstance that must be discussed with Mrs. Newton by a parent/guardian. If a student is absent on the day an assignment is due, it must be handed in the next day s/he are back to school. Students are responsible for all content and assignment during absences. *
Questions? Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-4230.
I look forward to a great year of music making with you!
Vocal Music Teacher, City Honors School