High School Chorale Handbook/Syllabus
HIGH SCHOOL CHORALE
2016 - 2017
Mrs. Newton, Vocal Music
CITY HONORS CHORALE 2016/2017 SYLLABUS
Mrs. Newton - Room 114
The following is a description of the purpose of the Chorale, goals to be accomplished, and what you will learn:
- A varied repertoire including but not limited to secular, folk, multi-cultural, classical, Broadway, spirituals, madrigals, etc... both accompanied and a cappella.
- Opportunities for students to perform solos as part of choral repertoire and on an individual basis through NYSSMA. Auditions will be announced for soloists as they are available - ALL students are encouraged to audition!
- Opportunity to audition for the Erie County Chorus.
- Expansion of students’ personal “library of musical knowledge” through singing and listening that will expand and grow throughout membership in this choir and hopefully, after you graduate.
- Learning, shaping and improving one’s singing ability through posture, proper breathing, warm-ups and repertoire.
- Learning, shaping and improving the choir’s singing ability through listening, cooperation, development of musical skills and team attitude (as well as all of the above!)
- Development of a knowledge of and capability to read rhythms and sight sing - recognizing pitches, key signatures, and modality using solfege syllables and song text.
- Preparation for and participation in concerts, community events, NYSSMA, Collage and various other music festivals.
- Learning and demonstration of proper performance etiquette.
- Develop skills necessary to become an active, focused and fully participating member of a music ensemble.
Character Building and Goal-Setting:
- Ability to set personal and group goals.
- Growth as musicians while learning, improving, striving and having fun!
CITY HONORS CHORALE
CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS AND GRADING POLICY
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS AND RULES OF CONDUCT
* REHEARSAL TIME:
- You are expected to arrive ON TIME to each and every rehearsal and be present at each and every rehearsal unless you are absent from school. I must be consulted ahead of time if you request to miss rehearsal for any other reason.
- You should keep all music and handouts in your Chorale folder
- You must have a pencil with you (not in your backpack)
- You are responsible for music/ materials given to you. If you lose your music, copy someone else's.
- You music folder should be marked with you name and folder slot #.
- You are not to take anyone's folder but your own.
- Absolutely no food or gum is allowed during rehearsals. Bottled water is allowed and encouraged.
- Personal electronics (cell phones, ipods, etc...) are prohibited and will be confiscated if used without permission.
- All concerts are MANDATORY. Please plan your schedules accordingly.
- Students are responsible for acquiring the correct performance attire for concerts. Please refer to the section on concert dress for more information.
Winter Vocal Concert - Tues., December 13th – 6:30 pm
Martin Luther King Assembly – Fri., January 13th - School day performance
Friday, January 20th - Community Spotlight Performance at Kleinhan's Music Hall - 7:00 pm
"Music In Our Schools Month" Audition: March 10th -School day audition
Collage Performance: TBA May - 7:00 pm - Shea's