New York State Physical Education Standards
Physical Education Learning Standards
Standard 1 - Personal Health and Fitness
Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain physical fitness, participate in physical activity, and maintain personal health.
- demonstrate proficiency in selected complex physical activities (games, sports, exercises) that provide conditioning for each fitness area
- establish and maintain a high level of skilled performance, demonstrate mastery of fundamental movement forms and skills that can contribute to daily living tasks, and analyze skill activities
- make physical activity an important part of their life and recognize such consequent benefits as self-renewal, greater productivity as a worker, more energy for family activities, and reduction in health care costs
- use the basic principles of skill analysis to improve previously acquired skills and to continue to learn new skills and activities
- know the components of personal wellness (nutrition and weight control, disease prevention, stress management, safety, and physical fitness), establish a personal profile with fitness/wellness goals, and engage in appropriate activities to improve or sustain their fitness
- follow a program that relates to wellness, including weight control and stress management
- demonstrate competence in leading and participating in group activities
Standard 2 - A Safe and Healthy Environment
Students will acquire the knowledge and ability necessary to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment.
- know the potential safety hazards associated with a wide variety of games and activities and are able to prevent and respond to accidents
- demonstrate responsible personal and social behavior while engaged in physical activities
- accept physical activity as an important part of life. Self-renewal, productivity as a worker, energy for family activities, fitness, weight control, stress management, and reduction in health-care costs are understood as benefits of physical activity
- create a positive climate for group activities by assuming a variety of roles
- understand the physical, social, and emotional benefits of physical activity and can demonstrate leadership and problem solving through participation in organized games or activities
Standard 3 - Resource Management
Students will understand and be able to manage their personal and community resources.
- recognize their role as concerned and discriminating consumers of physical activities programs and understand the importance of physical activity as a resource for everyone regardless of age or ability
- recognize the benefits of engaging in appropriate physical activities with others, including both older and younger members of the community
- identify a variety of career opportunities associated with sports and fitness and understand the qualifications, educational requirements, and job responsibilities of those careers