New York State Standards for Music Education
Just like other classes, New York has provided learning standards for music. They are broken into 4 Artistic Processes, with anchor standards associated with those 4 Aritstic Processes:
--Essential Question: How do we judge the quality of musical work(s) and performance(s)?
Process 1: Creating (Cr)- Conceiving and developing new artistic ideas and work.
1. Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work.
-1.1 The creative ideas, concepts, and feelings that influence musicains' work emerge from a variety of sources.
--Essential Question: How do musicians generate creative ideas?
2. Organize and develop artistic ideas and work.
-2.1 Musicians' creative choices are influenced by their expertise, context,a nd expressive intent.
--Essential Question: How do musicians make creative decisions?
3. Refine and compelte artistic work.
-3.1 Musicians evaluate and refine their work through openness to new ideas, persistence, and the application of appropriate criteria.
--Essential Question: How do musicians improve the quality of their creative work?
-3.2 Musicians' presentation of creatie work is the culmination of a process of creation and communication.
1. How does sharing creative musical ideas demonstrate expressive intent?
2. What personal purpose does sharing caretive musical ideas serve?
Process 2: Performing (Pr)- Realizing artistic ideas and work through interpretation and presentation.
4. Select, analyze, and interpret artistic work for presentation.
-4.1 Performers' interest in and knowledge of musical works, understanding of their own technical skill, and the context of a performance influence the selection of repertoire.
--Essential Question: How do performers select repertoire?
-4.2 Analyzing creators' context and how they manipulate elements of music provides insight into their intent and informs performance.
--Essential Question: How does understanding the structure and context of musical works inform performance?
-4.3 Performersmake interpretive decisions based on their understanding of context and expressive intent.
--Essential Question: How do performers interpret musical works?
5. Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for presentation.
-5.1 To express their musical ideas, musicians analyze, evaluate, and arefine their performance over time through openness to new ideas, persistence, and the application of appropriate criteria.
1. When is performance judged ready to present?
2. How do musicians improve the quality of their performance?
6. Convey meaning through the presentation of artistic work.
-6.1 Musicians judge expression and technique in prepared performances by using criteria that vary across time, place, and culture. The context and how a work is presented influence the audience response.
1. How are expressive intent and technical accuracy demonstrated through the sharing of prepared musical work?
2. How do context and the manner in which musical work is presented influence audience response?
Process 3: Responding (Re)- Understanding and evaluating how the arts convey meaning.
7. Perceive and analyze artistic work.
-7.1 Individuals' selection of musical works is influenced by their interests, experiences, understandings, and purposes.
--Essential Question: How do individuals choose music to experience?
-7.2 Response to music is informed by analyzing context (social, cultural, and historical) and how creators and performers manipulate the elemenst of music--Essential Question: How does understanding the structure and context of music inform a response?
8. Interpret meaning in artistic work.
-8.1 Through their use of elements and structures of music, creators and performers provide clues to their expressive intent.
--Essential Question: How doe we discern the musical creators' and performers' expressive intent?
9. Apply criteria to evaluate artistic work.
-9.1 The personal evaluation of musical work(s) and performance(s) is informed by analysis, interpretation, and established criteria.
Process 4: Connecting (Cn)- Relating artistic ideas and work with personal meaning and external context.
10. Relate and synthesize knowledge and personal experiences to inspire and inform artistic work.
-10.1 The multidimensional system of music allows us to uniquely express and reflect uponn ideas, opinions, aesthetic values, and human sentience. Musicians draw upon universal themes, disciplinary and interdisciplinary understandings, and life experiences to inform their creative expressions.
1. How does music deepen our understanding of ourselves, promote creative expression, and encourage productive collaboration?
2. What inspires and informs the creative work of musicians?
11. Investigate ways that artistic work is influenced by societal, cultural, and historical context and, in turn, how artistic ideas shape cultures past, present, and future.
-11.1 Creating, performing, and analyzing music deepens our knowledge of ideas, informs our understanding of cultures, and helps us envision the future.
1. How does music help us to understand the lives of people from different times, places, and cultures?
2. How does music help perserve personal and cultural insights and values?