K-5 (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills)
Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS) is a screening/formative assessment with a set of measures used to assess early literacy and reading skills for students from kindergarten through fifth grade. DIBELS Next is used to:
- identify students who may be at risk for reading difficulties;
- identify specific areas that students need additional support in;
- help teachers to target instructional support;
- monitor at-risk students while they are receiving additional targeted reading instruction; and
- examine the effectiveness of the additional targeted instructional supports.
DIBELS NEXT is administered three times a year - beginning of the year (BOY), middle of the year (MOY), and end of year (EOY). The chart below outlines the theoretical framework behind DIBELS NEXT.