Math at Home
The following is a list of activities you can do with your children at home to help improve their math skills:
1. Make addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division flashcards
2. Play board games (Monopoly, Tangram puzzles, Checkers, Battleship)
3. Have your child estimate the cost of items at the supermarket.
4. Have your child frequently tell time or how long it took to go somewhere.
5. Have your child help you cook by reading the recipe and measuring the ingredients.
6. Look around as you travel from place to place, and help your child find numbers on buildings, buses, taxis, and houses that they can add and subtract while on the road.
7. Math can be found outdoors in nature: look for symmetry in leaves; count the number, sizes, and kinds of trees on your street; and look at the various shapes and patterns of blooming flowers.
8. See how many numbers your child can find from 1 to 100 in the newspaper.