Science Laboratory Information
NYSED Information and Memos
January 4, 2021
On December 17, 2020 NYSED released new information regarding the 1200 Laboratory Requirements for Science. This information, issued jointly by the Office of State Assessment and the Office of Curriculum and Instruction provides relief from the 1200 minute laboratory requirement for students enrolled in a Science course culminating in a Regents Exam. Students should continue to receive quality science instruction that, to the greatest extent possible, includes laboratory experiences that prepare students for the performance components of the Regents Exams.
On July 14th, 2020, the Board of Regents released Emergency Regulations to Ease Burdens on Educators, Students and Professionals in the Wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic. These regulations included information about Science Lab Experiences.
For the 2020-21 school year, the 1,200 minutes of lab experience may be met through a combination of hands-on and simulated laboratory experiences. Due to this, a Science document has been made available (see link below) that includes:
- A list of simulated/virtual labs for Living Environment, Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics
- Teacher resources/ student activity sheets for each lab
- Alignment to Science Standards (MST and NYSSLS)
- Alignment to BPS Pacing Guide
- Notes regarding vocabulary and key ideas covered in each lab
September 18, 2020 - Regents Science Teachers - Please see below newly released information from the NYSED Office of State Assessment:
Providing Laboratory Activities for Living Environment Part D Virtually During the 2020-21 School Year
- Prior guidance from the Department on maintaining the integrity of the laboratory activities for Living Environment Part D prohibited their modification and electronic/virtual provision to students.
- Recognizing the variation in instruction and the widespread use of remote instruction, the Department is removing these restrictions for the 2020-21 school year.
- Permission is hereby granted to reproduce, electronically (i.e., scanned) if necessary, the Student Laboratory Packet and the Student Answer Packet in limited quantities for local use in instruction.
Virtual Lab spreadsheet for Living Environment, Earth Science, Physics, Chemistry, and Environmental Science Labs.
- Flinn Science
- Carolina Biological
- Freys Science
- School Speciality
- Fischer Scientific