PK Frequently Asked Questions
PK Frequently Asked Questions
Important Information for Parents with Children Ready to Enter the PK Program in Buffalo.
Click on the Questions for Answers
- Who is eligible for PK?
- What is needed to register my child in PK?
- What are the goals of the PK Program?
- What do children learn in PK?
- What is the class size in PK?
- How long is the school day?
- Are meals served in the PK Classroom?
- Is transportation provided to PK children?
Who is eligible for PK?
To attend PK in Buffalo the child must:
- Reside in the city of Buffalo
- Be four-years of age on or before December 31st
What is needed to register my child in PK? Contact Central Registration Center at: 33 Ash Street, Buffalo, NY, 14204, 816-3717
Parent/legal guardian must present the following documents in order to register their new or returning child into the BPS:
1. Two proofs of address in the parent/guardian's name; acceptable forms include:
- NYS drivers license or non-driver's license (with current address)
- Gas, electric, or cable bill within the last 30 days (with current address)
- Pay stub within the last 30 days (with current address)
- Notice of Decision Statement from the Erie County Department of Social Services (current year)
Note: Is your housing uncertain or do you live at a temporary address? You can still enroll in the BPS and may get free transportation under the McKinney-Vento Act. CLICK HERE for more information
2. Certified birth certificate which includes parent(s) name or I-94 card (including Immigration Family Page)
3. Up-to-date immunization record
4. Special education documents, if applicable
5. Parent/legal guardian photo identification
6. Legal guardianship or custody papers (if the child does not reside with the biological parent)7. Proof of physical examination within the last year (due to school within 30 days)
What are the goals of the PK Program?
To provide quality, integrated instruction to enhance the development of language, cognitive and social skills to children in Pre-Kindergarten classes in the Buffalo Public Schools and Community Based Sites.
- To provide a challenging, foundational instructional program with a focus on early literacy with emphasizes direct, explicit and systematic instruction.
- To provide each child with an equal opportunity to become literate, confident, moral (development of social, physical and emotional skills) and productive, literate citizens.
What do Children learn in PK?
The Buffalo Public Schools Pre-Kindergarten Program emphasizes learner-center activities to be incorporated in the Pre-Kindergarten classroom addressing each of the following components:
- cognitive skills, including early literacy and math instruction
- social emotional development, including fostering a positive sense of self within a cultural context
- physical skills, including gross and fine motor development.
What is the class size in a PK classroom?
The maximum class size is 20 children, with one teacher and 2 para-professionals. For classes with 18 and under, one para-professional is required.
How long is the school day?
PK classes in the Buffalo Schools are full day.
Are meals served in the PK classroom?
PK classes in the Buffalo Public Schools are included in any nutritional program at the school.
School lunch forms MUST be completed by each student and sent to the school’s cafeteria manager. Forms should be available in the school office.
State Education Guidelines mandate that meals be served in the classroom and all adults assigned to the classroom must sit with the children to encourage the development of social and language skills.
Is transportation provided to PK children?
The Buffalo City School District provides transportation to PK to any PK child with a processed bus pass. Each child’s transportation application must be processed by the Transportation Department for the child to receive a bus pass. Transportation may not be available for all PK students.
Note: State law requires children under the age of four to ride in a car seat.
For more information on the early childhood program in the Buffalo Public Schools contact the Office of Elementary Education, #99, 1095 Jefferson Ave., Buffalo, NY 14208 or call 716-816-4693
Parent Resources Good Start! PK FAQs
Know & Learn
Register for PKCentral Registration
33 Ash StreetBuffalo, NY 14204816-3717
More InformationPK Department
1095 JeffersonBuffalo, NY 14208816-4693