English I Literature
Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
Welcome to ELA 2! English Language Arts is a required course in the New York State Curriculum. This year we will be addressing the Common Core Standards during the first period. We will have the opportunity to read a variety of pieces of literatures and look closely at the text. Based on the Common Core Standards, this course provides students with the skills and knowledge to become critical readers and writers by analyzing key ideas and details, craft and structure, and the integration of knowledge and ideas in literature and informational text. During the second period we will focus more on our reading and writing skills.
I look forward to working with you this school year. We have a lot of work ahead of us however working together as a team will allow us to have a successful, productive year!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns at 816-4220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 notebook /journal (any type) to be kept in the classroom
1 folder (pocket folder is fine)
You must come to class prepared. You will not be allowed to go to your locker!
You should expect homework everyday Monday – Thursday. The homework you receive will be something that focuses on work you did in class, it will never be something new. Homework accounts for 15% of your grade. If you hand it in late you will receive only 50% credit.
1. Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Name calling, teasing, or mocking someone will NOT be tolerated.
2. Raise your hand if you have something to say or you have a question.
3. Do not talk when I am talking or when a classmate is talking.
4. No phones, no food, no fooling around!
5. Remember I dismiss you not the bell. Remain in your seats until I tell you to go.
6. If you are late expect a detention per school policy
1. Warning (reminder of rules)
2. Move your seat/conference with teacher
3. Phone Call home
4. Discipline referral to Assistant Principal
Writing/Journals 30 %
Quizzes/Tests 30 %
I will try to make sure grades are updated so you will be able to check parent portal to see how your child/you are doing.