Welcome to the Teacher Transfer Process Webpage
Teachers can request a transfer by sending an email transfer request to the HR Department at Human_Resources@BuffaloSchools.org.
The decision to transfer to a new school is personal and may be based on a variety of reasons. Perhaps you are looking for a change in instructional focus, program options, a new school theme, or even a more convenient location for your life. If you are participating in the transfer process, either voluntary or as a result of budgetary changes, please read the following information carefully. Please keep in mind that staffing is a fluid and on-going process. Staffing is affected by changes in enrollment, building needs, staffing levels, budgets, resignations/retirements/promotions and program changes. Teachers had the ability to submit a request to the Human Resources Department for voluntary transfer by March 23, 2019. Teachers displaced from their current assignment will be informed by their Principals and automatically included in the process by HR. Teachers shall hold the appropriate endorsements for positions to which they desire to transfer. Contract and probationary teachers are eligible to participate in the transfer process. Temporary, Emergency Temporary and Part-Time teachers are not eligible to participate. Teachers wishing to change tenure areas must do so through the interview process, not the teacher transfer process. Teachers wishing to be considered for a TOSA position, must participate in the interview process.
Important dates for your consideration:
April 6, 2020
Schools identify Open House dates from April 6, 2020 - May 8, 2020
Work Jeanne Carroll email@example.com to access SignUpGenius
March 23, 2020
Deadline for teachers to submit requests for voluntary transfers
Per CBA, must keep list confidential
March 12, 2020
Early Hire Recruitment Event for Teachers
Offering "open contracts" / contingent employment offers to hire best in class teachers early.
March 30, 2020
District launches website link to the sign-up genius for open house meetings and Receivership Schools begin interview process.
These are 10 - 15 minute interviews with Contract and Probationary teachers.
4/6/20 - 5/8/20
HR works on reconciliation process
Work with central office and building administrators to identify the addition and reductions of positions in each school.
Early April 2020
Anticipate School Based Budgets are closed
Needed to reconcile the budget and determine impact.
April 8, 2020
Launch district-wide TOSA recruitment bulletins
Coordinator, CSE Chair, Instructional Coach, Literacy Coach, Math Coach, Support Math Teacher, etc.
Week of 4/20/20
Current 2019/2020 staffing and your anticipated staffing for 2020/2021 & BTF seniority lists as of 12/19/19 board meeting
Human Resources will provide this data via the District’s Google Drive
April 30, 2020
Deadline to submit involuntary transfer requests
All schools, including receivership schools, are asked to submit requests and documentation to Terence Mazepa, Tmazepa@buffaloschools.org
5/4/20 - 5/15/20
HR/OSL/BTF hearings for Involuntary Transfers
Determination made and teachers informed of decision
5/11/20 - 5/22/20
Establish candidate pools and determine building-level fit recommendations. Human Resources extends TOSA offers to teachers. TOSA appointments may cause classroom vacancies.
May 15, 2020
Schools inform HR of the teachers who will be affected by reduction
Principals expected to communicate the results of the request for volunteers and finalize who will be impacted by budgetary changes.
Week of 5/11/20
Receivership Schools wrap up interviews for vacancies. DEADLINE for interview selections is May 17, 2019.
Interview committee with rubric. Top candidate offered position by Human Resources
Week of 6/29/20
Vacancy Lists by Subject Area created and distributed. This includes positions vacated through SBB, TOSA interviews, retirements, resignations and full-year leaves
Transfer Process begins 7/1/20, unless otherwise negotiated.
BTF Transfer Process – Frequently Asked Questions
1) How will I know which school has available vacancies?
2) How will HR notify teachers who are on a leave of absence?
3) What is the criteria for a teacher to be able to get an approved transfer?
4) When is the deadline for when a transfer request can be submitted?
5) I have been displaced by the budget process, but did not submit a request to transfer. What do I do?
6) If I am the most senior teacher in the transfer pool, can I “pass” my slot in anticipation of another opening? Or, must the person with the most seniority make a decision first and then be removed from the transfer process?
7) My budgeted position has changed slightly, but will remain predominately at my current location. Do I have right of first refusal to stay in my building?
8) My Principal is requesting volunteers to transfer due to a reduction in my tenure area at my school. If I volunteer, do I get super seniority?
9) I transferred at the beginning of this year to my current assignment because there was a reduction at my previous location. Can I voluntarily transfer this year?
10) Will the District identify the specific courses/schedule/grade level of the available vacancies?
11) What happens if I am out of town/country/unreachable during the transfer process?
12) I hold a TOSA title that is being reduced for next school year. How am I impacted?
13) Can I invoke my contractual right to transfer into a school where the Principal does not agree that I am a fit for the school?
Updated: March 2, 2020