New York State teachers, administrators, and pupil personnel service providers are required to hold a New York State certificate for employment in the State’s public schools. As such, the New York State Office of Teaching Initiatives issues certificates to certify that an individual has met the required education, assessment and experience requirements. The HR Instructional Staffing Teams provide assistance to current and prospective employees with certification transactions.
If you are a prospective employee, we encourage you to visit our “Careers at BPS” link located at the Buffalo Public Schools website and click on Jobs in the blue header section to view available positions. To learn more about becoming certified in New York State, visit NYS’ TEACH Online Services for information on the different routes to certification.
CURRENT EMPLOYEES WITH EXPIRING CERTIFICATIONS
These simple steps help 99% of our instructional staff to obtain their professional certification or request a time extension, please follow them:
- Visit the NYS Education Department’s website to login to TEACH and obtain instructions, help links and access to your account at: highered.nysed.gov/tcert.
- Once you have completed your Master’s degree, please contact the recommending certification officer at your college/university to submit the “Institutional Recommendation” using the TEACH online services system. This will ensure the appropriate certification officer has verified your successful completion of a NYS Registered and Approved Teacher Preparation Program.
- Information regarding verification of mentoring experience can be found at: Mentoring Program or contact the Staff Development Department directly at 716-816-4674.
- Please be advised, all certifications require Dignity for All Students (DASA) training to be renewed or issued. If you have not completed DASA training, please check the course catalog in PGS or contact one of the approved DASA providers at: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/dasa-applicant.html.
- You may be eligible for a time extension for your Provisional, Initial, or Transitional Certificate(s). To learn more about the eligibility requirements, please visit the NYSED website at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/timeext.html or by contacting NYSED directly at 518-474-3901.
- Verification of paid experience by a current employer is required for educators to transition from initial to professional certifications. Employees are required to complete Section I of the form and then submit it to email@example.com. Please be advised, due to the high volume of requests, processing this request could take up to 10 – 15 business days.
- Employment Verification for Classroom Teaching certificates: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/pdf/ot-verificationofexperience-classroomendorsement-accessible.pdf
- Employment Verification for Leadership Certificates: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/pdf/ot-verificationofexperience-leadershipendorsement-accessible.pdf
How to submit documentation to New York State: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/submitdocs.html#address
It is the employee’s responsibility to continue to check your TEACH account on a daily basis. If you have any questions or concerns:
New York State at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-474-3901
Buffalo Public Schools Human Resources at email@example.com or call 716-816-3519
Initial Reissuance: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/reissue.html
Provisional Renewal: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/ctert.html
Permanent Certificate: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/advanceprovperm.html
Professional Certificate: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/advanceinitprof.html
Time Extension: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/timeext.html
Search Certification Requirements: http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do
Office of Teaching Initiatives: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/
Certificate holders may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-474-3901 if they have questions.