IB Mission Statement
"Makowski is a community that recognizes, respects, and celebrates diversity. Through inquiry, we nurture and educate our children to become compassionate life-long learners. Our students will grow to become a positive influence on their community and the world."
Grade 1 Curriculum:
Transdiciplinary Themes and Central Ideas
1. Who We Are - The actions of individuals and groups have an effect on their community.
2. How the World Works - Humans use their understanding of the natural world to improve their quality of life.
3. Where We Are in Place and Time - Life in the past differs from life in the present as a result of advances in our world.
4. How We Organize Ourselves - Families make informed decisions to grow and survive.
5. Sharing the Planet - The structure and behavior of living things help them grow, survive, and reproduce.
6. How We Express Ourselves - Discoveries in light and sound impact the way we communicate.
Read Aloud: "My Many Colored Days" by Dr. Seuss
Read Aloud: "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein
Read Aloud: "Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter
Read Aloud: "A House for Hermit Crab" by Eric Carle
Acts of Kindess
Read Aloud: "What Does It Mean to Be Kind" by Rana DiOrio Song: "Rainbow Connection" sung by Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog
Learner Profile Newsletters
Grade 1 Science Standards