Hello 6th Graders! Welcome back to school! This school year 2020-2021 will look a little different than in the past. We will be engaging in online learning for the beginning of this school year.
What does this mean?
Online learning is also known as distance learning. Distance learning is a form of education in which the main elements include physical separation of teachers and students during instruction. We will be using various forms of technology to facilitate student and teacher communication. Some days we participate in asynchronous distance learning which involves class content that is created digitally and posted. Students will learn the same material at different tines and locations, and that the learning is self-paced. Other days will include synchronous distance learning. This involves both instruction and learning that is live or real time, either through interactive message boards or streamed videos. This style of learning allows students and teachers to engage with one another live.
What tools will be used in distance learning?
We will be using various tools that include Schoology, Clever, Class Dojo, and Microsoft TEAMS. Please remember the importance to attend all scheduled classes. Some lessons will be taught live, therefore, it is important to be present, as teachers will not record these sessions. Participation is key to receive authentic instruction for everyone. Engaging in contact and face-to-face teaching is essential to be successful. If you are in need of assistance you should meet with your teacher during office hours.
Distant Learning Expectations:
Students will access their content and assignments daily between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 12:50 p.m. Students will interact with all content and assignments through Schoology and the use of the online platform Microsoft TEAMS. Students are expected to exhibit appropriate behavior in their online interactions as outlined in the Frank A. Sedita Student Handbook.
• Students are expected to participate in live sessions.
• After students verbally acknowledge their attendance, they should mute all background noise as each session begins.
• During teacher communication the student will unmute their screen to allow for active participation.
• Students are expected to complete assignments and turn them in by the due date.
• Students are expected to actively engage in online discussions and ask questions when necessary.
Checklist to prepare for the first day of school:
• Make sure your iPad is in working order
• Practice logging into your iPad using your BPS username and password
• Practice logging into Clever: Moby Max and MyON
• Review your homeroom Teacher pages on the Frank A. Sedita’s website: https://www.buffaloschools.org/Page/29705
• Make sure you are connected to Class Dojo
Please reach out to me if you have any questions! I look forward to meeting with everyone virtually next Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
😊 Ms. Bugman