Mr. Delgado's Teacher Page
Welcome to 5th grade at North Park Middle Academy! This year will be one of growth, academic maturity, and an array of acquired skill sets which will prepare your child for future grade levels. Our vision at North Park Middle Academy is: We will build a culture that promotes positive interactions among faculty and students. We will use data-driven protocols to ensure productivity in our teaching and planning to increase student achievement. We will act powerfully as a school community to engage students and enhance growth with cyclical goal-setting.
This vision is one that requires a positive, productive, and powerful relationship between a parent/guardian and teacher(s). Communication, a dedicated and mutual love for learning, and continued encouragement of effective and sustained effort is vital within the community of continued learning. Therefore, we strongly urge parents/guardians to take an active part within our North Park Middle Academy family because we truly believe “It takes a village to educate a child”!
As we begin to enjoy our summer vacation, a vacation from education is not something we promote. Education is like a shadow, it follows you wherever you go. Therefore, your child must be exposed to literature, vocabulary, and fluency practice. Here are some suggestions:
- Reading aloud is crucial because it increases fluency—speed, accuracy, and expression.
- Exposure to literature with a focus on a variety of genres such as biographies, nonfiction, historical nonfiction etc.
- Using a dictionary in conjunction with reading is necessary. Vocabulary is one of the five components of reading. If a reader has a weak vocabulary, then their comprehension and writing will surely be affected.
- Mayor Byron Brown has once again issued his annual reading challenge. Attached to this letter is a brochure that contains all the details of the 2015 Summer Reading Challenge. For more information, please feel free to call (716) 851-7323 or log on to www.citybuffalo.com/readingrules .
- BPS is hosting a FREE neighborhood-based summer camp. Summer camp activities include focus on Math, ELA, reading, and Arts & Recreation. Please check the attached flyer for details, as the registration window is small.
- Grade 5 Social Studies is based on the history and geography of the Western Hemisphere, including the development of cultures, civilizations, and empires; interaction between societies; and the comparison of the government and economic systems of modern nations. It also incorporates elements of archaeology.
- Some of the early cultures explored are the Native American, Aztec, Inca, and Maya. Students will also investigate explorers such as Christopher Columbus, John Cabot, Jacques Cartier, and Vasco Nunez de Balboa. Please explore literature on these topics at your local library and or favorite bookstore. Have a safe, fun, and educational summer!