Buffalo School Dress Code:
When on school property or at a school function, a person’s dress, grooming and appearance, including jewelry, make-up and nails, must:
1. be safe, appropriate and not disrupt or interfere with the educational process.
2. not include revealing garments such as tube tops, net tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps, plunging necklines (front and/or back) excessively short skirts or shorts and see-through garments.
3. cover all underwear with appropriate outer garments.
4. include safe and appropriate footwear. Inappropriate footwear includes, but is not limited to; backless shoes (i.e. flip-flops, bedroom slippers). Exceptions will only apply to documented medical conditions.
5. not include headgear of any kind (including, but not limited to hats, caps, and hoods) except when required by medical or religious reasons.
6. not be lewd, vulgar, obscene, and libelous or denigrate others.
7. not promote and/or endorse the use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs and/or encourage other illegal or violent activities.
8. must not include coats, jackets & other outerwear, sweat shirts with hoods or “hoodies”, inside of buildings
9. not include jewelry that may be deemed a weapon. This includes, but is not limited to, a single ring or piece of jewelry covering multiple fingers, spiked necklaces or belts, belts with large removable buckles, chain-like neckwear, ninja-type stars, etc. Belt must be buckled.
10. not include clothing that is associated with or identifiable as a symbol of a gang or street club.
Additional restrictions may be determined by the school with the approval of the Board of Education. Students who violate the dress code will be required to modify their appearance by covering or removing the offending item, and if necessary and/or practical, replacing it with an acceptable item. Any student who refuses to do so may be subject to discipline in accordance with this Code.