Office of Federal & State Programs
Room 408 City Hall, Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (716) 816-3966 | Fax: (716) 851-3968
Director of Title I
Jaime L. Cohen
Supervisor of Title I
Richard H. Dombkowski
Associate Account Clerk
Senior Account Clerk
Transition Counselor-Transition Program
Research Aide-Transition Program
Our Focus is Simple
We work year-round to secure supplemental, Title I funding to support various District and school-level initiatives to help Buffalo Public School students and families.
Our Major Responsibilities:
- Develop Title I Program Narratives and Title I Budgets
- Develop amendments and make funds accessible for school and program use
- Manage the Title I grant and assist with program implementation
- Monitor programs for Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) compliance
- Provide fiscal and compliance oversight to prevent fraud, waste, and abuse
- Prepare for audits and New York State monitoring reviews of Federal program dollars
- Serve as liaison between the District and the New York State Department of Education for Federal program matters.
Public Meetings & the Role of Stakeholders
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule (in Preparation for 2019-2020 program year)
Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 5:00-7:30pm
Waterfront Elementary School #95
Topic: During this planning meeting, we will discuss the Title I grant, how it supports many of our current supplemental initiatives (ex. after school programs, reduced class size) and Districtwide Parent Engagement activities. Stakeholder feedback is critical during this planning process. Please join us to learn about how these grants support our students, what the District is considering for next year and share your ideas.
Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 5:00-7:30pm
Waterfront Elementary School #95
Topic: During this planning meeting, we will discuss the Title IIA grant supports professional development, how Title III supports English language learners and how Title VI supports Native American students. In addition, we will discuss how Title IV supports art, music, enrichment, Advanced Placement courses, student health and safety. Stakeholder feedback is critical during this planning process. Please join us to learn about how these grants support our students, what the District is considering for next year and share your ideas.
Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 5:00-7:30pm
Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts #192
Topic: During this meeting, we will discuss the outcomes of the stakeholder feedback from meetings and survey data and share what the District plans to put into the final application for federal grant funds (Titles I, IIA, III, IV and VI) as well as Contract for Excellence. Stakeholder feedback is critical during this planning process. This will be the last chance for stakeholders to share feedback and ideas before the 2019-2020 grant application is submitted to the New York State Department of Education.
Other Meetings You Can Attend Virtually
- Thursday, August 16, 2018 - Presentation of Consolidated Application Federal Budget Summaries
- February 6, 2018 Title IV meeting
- 2015 meetings
Role of Our Valued Stakeholders
Much like the inclusive role of a School-Based Management Team in creating a school-based budget, school districts are required to consult with various stakeholder groups before they develop budgets and determine programs using Federal funds.
Buffalo Public Schools takes this responsibility seriously, and we solicit stakeholder involvement in a variety of ways.
- Online Surveys (click HERE to participate)
- In-Person Community Meetings
- LiveSteam/virtual meetings, with digital stakeholder participation
We Advertise Through:
- Email notifications
- District website notifications
- Automated phone system
- District Facebook and Twitter Accounts
- Office of Federal & State Programs newsletters
- Weekly bulletin to District Staff
Who Is a Stakeholder?
A District Stakeholder can be any of the following:
- Buffalo Board of Education member
- City of Buffalo resident
- Community based organization/District partner
- Private school parent
- Private school teacher
- Representative of Higher Education
- Support staff member
- Teacher aide/assistant
- School Administrator