Health Education and Physical Education are academic subjects and are an integral part of the Buffalo Public Schools' whole student education program. Our vision is to create a generation of informed students who will be inspired to pursue a healthy and physically active lifestyle.
The Buffalo Public Schools Health and Physical Education Program is committed to providing an engaging, rigorous, progressive, and inclusive curriculum through quality, standards-based K-12 instruction. Our students will attain the knowledge and skills that are designed to enhance their health, social, emotional, and physical well-being for life in the 21stcentury.
Health and Physical Education Goals
- Implement the district adopted, evidence-based SPARK physical education curriculum and pacing guide as it applies to elementary and high schools.
- Implement the district adopted pre- and post-test FitnessGram fitness testing in all BPS schools with fidelity.
- Implement district adopted, evidence-based CATCH, HealthSmart, Be Proud Be Responsible and Reducing the Risk health curricula and grade level pacing guides with fidelity in all schools.
- Collaborate, communicate, and coordinate the sharing of instructional resources among health and physical education department staff members.
- Recruit, retain, and mentor a highly qualified and diverse staff of health and physical educators.